I'm here, trying to advise and help. This is probably best for first-time-mums, because that's what I am :) I'm not saying that second, third, fourth time-mums can't get anything from this, but you probably know it already. I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just offering advice and personal experiences that people may or may not want to learn from. I'm possibly controversial, I don't really know to be honest, but this is just what I think is best for me and my baby. This is created with the view of a mum-to-mum chat. If you're a Daddy looking things up, be warned there may be talk of vaginas that you may not want to know.

I recommend that because you get so many things thrust at you, by the hospital, by friends and family, books, internet...I would recommend you only research your current stage, and the next one, so you have advice for what you're going through, and what's coming next, otherwise you can get confused, think your baby is ready for something that they're not. I've included a search bar where you can search for the stage you want so it won't be too confusing.

Mum to one beautiful baby girl.

Thursday 14 November 2013

Pregnancy: Preparation

Emma's Diary & Bounty: Do not sign up to these. I mean it. Sure you get freebies, but I really don't think it's worth it. Or at least just sign up to one...you get bombarded with so many leaflets that you will NEVER have time to read, and cold calling and advertising galore. Your email inbox will become saturated with advertising and "advice" for your baby's development, due to your due date. If your baby is early (like mine, exactly one week) then you still get emails for when your baby was "supposed" to arrive, so it's useless as far as I'm concerned. There's LOADS of money off vouchers and things, but it's really not that much money off and it's STILL stressing me out that we still have in date vouchers that we're not using...SOMEWHERE.

Hospital Bag: Get this sorted as soon as possible, then you can add anything you might have forgotten over time. Keep it in the car preferably, or if your other half has the car, maybe make two like I did. One that you NEED, and one for overnight and bits that you need later can go in the car. There are plenty of things online to tell you what to take, but you WILL end up overpacking for your first baby. I can tell you what I needed.


  • Change of clothes for you: You REALLY don't even feel like it, but they do bully you and make you take a shower and change etc. You never know how long you'll end up staying so probably just pack 2x change of clothes and 1x pyjamas, anything extra you need your partner could bring you later, or if you're not still together, your mum or his mum or anyone you're close enough to to give a key to your house and let them rummage through your wardrobe. REMEMBER: unfortunately this big belly you have is NOT all baby. You will still need to be wearing maternity/bigger clothes for a long time after the birth. You will NOT fit straight back into your favourite top just like that.
  • Shower stuff: They do make you. You don't feel like it, you ache all over, but you have to at least keep up appearances. I didn't feel like reaching up and washing my hair, so you could probably get away without shampoo and conditioner if you like, but as soon as you step in that shower you realize how much you need it. You will definitely need soap or shower gel, and lots of it. And towels. I can't actually remember if they provided me with towels, but I brought my own anyway and it felt good to have something so familiar in this terrifying whirlwind of new experiences.
  • Flip flops: for the shower. It's a good idea. Maybe ask around people who have had babies in the hospital you're going to, but the showers can be disgusting and you might not want to touch the floor. I also used them instead of slippers because they were easier to get on.
  • Entertainment: Not really necessary. You will be exhausted and all you will want to do is sleep, and when you're not sleeping, there's a little baby to look at! I brought several things, for whatever I could have possibly felt like at the time. No need. Maybe one book, just in case, but I doubt you'll need it.
  • Handheld fan: This is a GREAT idea. We didn't do it, we brought a plug in one, which we had to bully them to let us plug it in. Your partner or someone close to you would have to be with you the whole time, however, and prepared to hold it for you, but you WILL be hot. Even in the middle of winter, at least your face will be on fire.
  • Maternity towels: Don't bother. I mean it. They are EXACTLY like sanitary towels, except they don't have wings. Sure they're thicker, but a decent night time towel will do the job just as well and will be cheaper
  • Baby clothes: This goes without saying. Bring along a variation of sizes, but you don't have to bring EVERY size. You could bring 5lbs, 7lbs, 9lbs and maybe 11lbs to be safe. You need vests and bodysuits and a hat. Maybe some gloves if you're due in the winter but I certainly didn't need them in the summer.
  • Newborn nappies: Of course. You don't need many though. I only stayed overnight and until the next evening and I think I used less than 10. If you have to stay longer someone could always run out for you and bring more.
  • Baby bath stuff: They will make you bathe her before you leave, so that you can learn from them/so they know you can bathe her. You don't need much though. You don't use bubble bath or soap or anything until they're about a month old, so maybe a baby towel and maybe baby oil, but that's all you need.
  • Baby wipes: Yes. They don't let you use baby wipes in the hospital for your baby, and you don't need them for your baby until she's about a month old, but you will be so sore down below it will be much nicer and gentler on you than toilet paper. It will also keep any stitches nice and clean.
  • Cotton pads: Yes. These flat disks, sort of like compressed cotton wool balls, and lukewarm water, is what you will use to wipe your baby's bum for the first month. We bought too many and still have some, but not to worry, you can keep using them until they run out, OR, because wipes are easier, we're slowly working through them by using them to wipe milk and food off baby's face. ALL babies HATE baby wipes to wipe their faces. It is what you're supposed to do, so don't panic, but they will cry at you. I don't know if it's the smell or what, but she definitely prefers wet cotton pads on her face.
  • Breast pads and maternity/nursing bra: You definitely need these. No need to explain, you get it. The cheapest breast pads we found were boots own. They're all the same. We had lots of freebies, lansinoh, avent, tommee tippee, avent are slightly thicker, lansinoh are pinky and sort of a figure of 8 shape, which I didn't like, I leaked out the sides, but basically they're all the same, and if you change them often enough there's no need to buy the avent ones just because I've said they're a bit thicker. They're all the same and for once I don't see much use in name brands at all.
  • Lansinoh: Nipple cream. 100% need. Lansinoh was the only one I could have because we were told it's the only one without aloe (which I'm allergic to) There is nothing worse than cracked nipples. Painful, and peeling off skin from your nipples is NOT fun. It may be almost a tenner a tube, but you NEED it. You'll go through about a tube a week. Lansinoh is the best because you don't have to wipe it off before giving your baby your breast. You need to put it on after every single feed. It works as a preventative measure as well as healing after your nipples are cracked.
  • Drinks: It's a good idea, they say bring cartons with bendy straws so that you can have a drink whilst you're in labour, but you really won't feel like it. I enjoyed having them after, so I didn't have to call a nurse or get up to have a drink, but it's not 100% necessary.
  • Pillow: I am a very bad sleeper. I toss and turn and throw my pillows and move them, so I've always slept with more than one pillow. If you do too you should definitely bring your own, and remember to take it back with you! Don't let them change your bedding and take your pillow away! It's nice to prop up properly, and much more comfortable. Even if you do ask for another pillow you won't get one (in an nhs hospital anyway)
  • Muslin squares/bib: I don't think is necessary. Maybe bring one but I don't think you'll need it for breastfeeding.

No comments:

Post a Comment